In October, my parents moved from my childhood home in Greenville to Surfside Beach. They just woke up one day and realized that they no longer had children at home so they had no more reasons to stay in Greenville. They pursued their lifelong dream of living at the beach. I mean, the new house isn’t beach-side, but 3 blocks away isn’t shabby.
This does mean that I get to spend the summer at the beach. Where I know no one. But it means I can focus on myself. I have created a list of things I wish to accomplish this summer in order to improve myself:
- Read the books I bought and still haven’t read
- Rachel Dratch’s Girl Walks into a Bar…: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle
- Nick Offerman’s Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man’s Fundamentals for Delicious Living
- Also buy his new book, Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom With America’s Gutsiest Troublemakers, and read it
- John Green’s Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars
- Get a job and save money so I can buy books for next semester and new things for my dorm
- I have accomplished this partially already (twice). I got a job at a Japanese restaurant as a food runner and worked there for a whopping 5 days. I was not going to get the hours I wanted there (plus the job sucked) so I found a new job at a combination ice cream shop – arcade at a local campground. This new job is definitely one of the best jobs I’ve had, and I will be working 40+ hours a week scooping ice cream.
- Also work as much as possible, that way I get more money and the more time I spend at work, the less money I’ll spend.
- Exercise more
- I say this constantly, but it’s always a good goal to have
- Create a killer blog and evolve my writing style
- Hang out with my dog since I’ve missed her so much for the past 3 months
- Prepare for my TA position in the fall for Communications 121 – Digital Communications
- This involves refreshing myself with Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Audacity, and iMovie.
- Watch plenty of new movies and television shows
- I’ve already seen Spy (which if you haven’t seen it, I recommend it) and season 3 of Orange is the New Black (which I also recommend).
- Go to the beach as much as possible (and maybe get a tan)
- It is right there, so why not enjoy it?
So I think this summer is shaping up to be a great summer for personal growth and fun. Feel free to check out the tag, Summer Thoughts, for the duration of the summer to see more of my summer experiences and how well I do on my list.